Oh, how I love watermelon…and a good slushie.
Sweet, juicy and the epitome of summertime fun. Just the smell of slicing watermelon brings me back to happy childhood memories.
We all know how great it is to enjoy watermelon slices all on their own, but I can’t seem to stop myself from popping everything into the blender and making a delicious, slushie drink. This is no different!
This super-simple puree consists of only four nutritious ingredients: watermelon, lime, mint and coconut water; so hydrating and so refreshing!
The trick is to freeze the melon before throwing it in the blender because that’s what gives it the cool, slushie drink texture. You’re going to love it!
- - 2 cups frozen watermelon cubes
- - 1 peeled lime
- - 3 tbsp roughly chopped fresh mint
- - 1 cup coconut water or plain filtered water
- - Wipe down watermelon rind. Cut into chunks and pop in freezer for about an hour (or longer) until cubes are frozen
- - Peel lime and cut in half. Rough chop mint.
- - Add all ingredients into blender or food processor blend until smooth.
- - Enjoy your refreshing slushie!
- Makes enough for one large or two smaller servings.
An important thing to keep in mind about watermelon (and all melons for that matter) is that they are best eaten alone away from other foods. This is because they are very easily digested. Problems may occur when combining melons with more slowly digested foods because the varying rates of digestion can cause the sugars in the melon to start fermenting in your gut, which can cause gas and bloating. I recommend sticking to combining watermelon with other fruits or veggies, if not on their own.
Ok, ok, that’s all the digestion talk for now. The thing I want to stress here is to enjoy the heck out of this tasty and refreshing slushie drink!
NOTE: Because there aren’t any healthy fats or proteins in this slushy, don’t use it as a meal as you would a typical smoothie. It’s more of a refreshing pick-me-up to start the day 30 minutes before breakfast or in between meals on a hot summer day.