Hearty, filling, fresh and delicious. That about sums up this superfood salad.
The green salad base with creamy herbed dressing is so killer. Delicate AND crunchy! Sweet and flavourful! This salad really has it going on.
There are limitless ways to prepare tofu and this crusted method does not disappoint. It’s got a subtle spiciness from the paprika and turmeric and also helps to round out this dish with plenty of plant-based protein.
People who aren’t used to cooking with tofu often turn their noses up thinking that it’s bland and boring, but that’s just because they aren’t doing it right 😉 Tofu is so adaptable to just about any flavour you add to it and, when cooked properly, it can be crispy and chewy and delicious! (Like in this salad).
If you’re a vegetarian or vegan, it’s a good plant-based protein to add to the diet and is also loaded with calcium. Make sure to get organic tofu because most soy on the market is GMO and we don’t want that. And, although I do include soy products to my diet, I recommend limiting your tofu consumption to once a week because it is a bit more processed than other soy products like miso, tempeh. If you are sensitive to soy, but eat fish or chicken, this recipe will adapt easily. And, if you have kids, you can cut the tofu into skinnier fry-like shapes to keep it interesting and to fit their bitty little fingers.
The spiced quinoa crust is really easy to make and includes the king of anti-inflammatory spices: turmeric! Don’t forget to be careful with that bright yellowy spice because it will stain anything and everything it comes into contact with.
My creamy green basil dressing is uber-delicious and lends itself to just about ANYTHING! The hemp seeds make it nice and creamy and also add more protein to your plate! You can use it to dip veggies into, as a sandwich spread or as a pasta sauce. And, as we know, fresh herbs are really powerful foods that aid the body’s detox pathways. So, not only are you getting a tasty dressing, you are getting a bit of preventative medicine in a jar!
- Quinoa Crusted Tofu
- 1 block firm, organic tofu, sliced into 1-inch slabs
- ½ cup quinoa flakes or rolled oats
- 3 tbsp organic mayo/veganaise or goat yogurt/coconut yogurt
- 2 tsp smoked paprika (or regular)
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Salad Base
- 1 box mixed greens (or about 6 cups)
- ¼ c pumpkin seeds
- 1 c zucchini, diced
- 1 c cucumber, diced
- 1 c celery, diced
- Creamy Green Basil Dressing
- ⅓ c olive oil or avocado oil
- ⅓ c hemp seeds
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup or raw honey
- 1 c fresh basil, roughly chopped
- ½ c fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp sea salt
- a few generous grinds of pepper
- filtered water (to achieve desired consistency)
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper
- Add all dressing ingredients for Creamy Green Basil Dressing into a blender or use immersion blender to blend until well combined and smooth (adding water to achieve desired consistency).
- Mix quinoa flakes, paprika, turmeric and salt/pepper together in small, shallow bowl.
- Lightly brush or coast tofu slabs with mayo/yogurt and dip into spiced quinoa mixture. Arrange on baking sheet.
- Bake tofu for 15 minutes until lightly browned on sides.
- Meanwhile, mix greens and diced veggies in a large bowl and toss with creamy basil dressing until leaves are lightly coated. Top with pumpkin seeds.
- Remove tofu from oven and serve warm with green salad.
(Remaining green basil dressing will last in an airtight container in fridge up to a week.)
See? Easy peasy! I know you’re going to love the way all these flavours and textures come together. So, why don’t you prove it by snapping a pic of your creation and sharing it with me on social media. Tag me @kimdeoncom and let me know how it goes!