If you’re looking to spice up your life, I’ve got you covered with my curried cauliflower, coconut and lentil soup! It’s really easy to make, filled with superfoods, and will truly warm your cockles.
Yes, I know, I know – there was all that cauliflower kerfuffle when its price went through the roof in Canada recently. But, thankfully, the cost of this hardy cruciferous is beginning to even out again. So, you know I had to celebrate by making it one of the star ingredients of this curried coconut soup recipe.
On top of being incredibly delicious and versatile, cauliflower boasts amazing health benefits. It’s a great anti-inflammatory food, good for heart health and houses amazing sulfur compounds which support the liver’s ability to detoxify. It’s also loaded with fibre and great for gut health. That’s just the tip of the iceberg, but you get the drift. Cauliflower is truly a superstar veggie.
Curry is also a fantastic anti-inflammatory spice blend and one of my favourites! You can make it from scratch by combining spices like turmeric, ginger, cumin/coriander, cayenne and mustard, which I do sometimes. But, I also totally enjoy the ease of just using a straight-up good quality curry powder blend that has all those ingredients in it. I know you’d appreciate this time-saver and so I’ve made this curry using a good, organic curry powder blend. Adding the jalapeno gives it that nice, spicy kick to elevate the whole dish without being overbearing. Delish!
Some of the other ingredients in this curried cauliflower, coconut and lentil soup that make it both great tasting and super healthy include: the healthy fats in coconut milk, fibre and protein in the lentils and plentiful detoxifying ginger, garlic and leafy greens like spinach.
This really is a superfood soup in every way.
My man couldn’t get enough of this. And let me tell you, it gets even tastier as leftovers the next day. So, be sure to make enough to bring in your soup thermos for lunch the next day. (Of course it freezes just as well as other soups and will last for about 6 months that way).
- - 1 tbsp coconut oil
- - 1 red onion, diced
- - 8-10 cloves garlic, crushed
- - 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- - 2 tbsp minced, fresh ginger root
- - 3 tbsp curry powder
- - 1 head cauliflower, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- - 1 28 oz tin of diced plum tomatoes (with liquid)
- - 1 can full fat organic coconut milk (shaken well)
- - 2 cups filtered water
- - 1 cup dried brown lentils (rinsed)
- - I box baby spinach (or 3 giant handfuls)
- - 1 tsp each: sea salt + pepper
- - 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, rough chopped
- - 1 lime cut into wedges for a squeeze of flavour
- In soup pot, heat coconut oil on med/high head and add onion, stirring until softened (about 5 minutes).
- Add jalapeno, ginger, garlic, and curry powder and stir for 2-3 minutes (drizzle a bit of water in the pot if mixture starts to stick)
- Add tomatoes (with liquid) + water + coconut milk + lentils and cauliflower and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cover fro 25-30 minutes.
- Once cauliflower and lentils are cooked, add spinach, salt and pepper and stir through until greens are wilted.
- Removed from heat and serve with a squeeze of lime and chopped cilantro.
See? EASY! I’m here to help you get through winter! I hope you and yours enjoy this one as much as we do in my house.
Eat Real. Feel Good.