I love a green soup just as much as I love a good green smoothie. It’s just such a great way to pack in a whopping amount of nutrients into one, tasty, pretty little bowl. There are so many variations on green soup and so many different greens you can incorporate. I kept this recipe super simple to give you a sense of what can be accomplished. Once you master this, start subbing out these greens for any of your other favourite greens and go wild!
Peas are often portrayed as a humble little side dish, but I want to make them the star of the show because they are full of health-promoting nutrients, and also add a delicious pop of sweetness to any dish. They are fantastic for blood sugar balance because of their high fibre and protein and are also loaded with beneficial phytonutrients that are both anti-inflammatory and high in antioxidants. Plus, they’re easy on the wallet and easy to make. I usually have a bag of frozen peas on hand for all the above reasons.
I’ve added some of the peas to the puree bit and kept some out to add into the soup near the end so that you have those cute little peas to bite into for extra texture and flavour. I know. The excitement never stops here!
The supporting cast of green veggies here includes spinach and broccoli, which will be pureed and give this soup its gorgeous green colour. And because I care, I wanted to point out an important tip about using your broccoli wisely: don’t throw out the stalks! The florets often get all the love, but the stalks are much higher in fibre! Once you chop off the dry, woody ends and peel the tough outer layer, you expose a deliciously mild and sweet flavour that you can use as you would any other veggie. More broccoli bang for your buck! Yes!
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 20 springs fresh thyme (leaves pulled from stalk)
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 large stalks of broccoli (about 3 cups florets AND stalks)
- 1 prewashed box of baby spinach or 3 huge handfuls
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4-5 cups filtered water
- 1 white potato, diced
- 3 cups of frozen peas
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Heat oil in large soup pot on med/high heat.
- Sauté onion and half of the fresh thyme for 5 minutes.
- Add potato + broccoli + garlic + 1 cup peas + water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add spinach and stir through until wilted.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Then puree whole mixture to a gorgeous, creamy green consistency.
- Place back on heat and add remaining 2 cups of peas and stir until peas are heated through (about 3 minutes)
- Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with remaining fresh thyme and nuts or seeds! (I used toasted sunflower seeds here!)
This soup will last in the fridge for about 4 days and in the freezer for 4-6 months. Enjoy!