Yes, black rice.
If you’re looking for a change of pace from your usual brown rice I highly recommend trying out black rice (aka “forbidden rice”) in your next cooking adventure.
Do you know where it gets its nickname “forbidden rice”? It’s because, in ancient China, black rice was so prized for its health benefits it was reserved for royalty only and peasants were forbidden to eat it. Hence the moniker “forbidden rice”.
That’s kind of an awful story to illustrate black rice’s incredible benefits. But, I know you’d like to have that info to impress those around your dinner table.
Black rice is actually more burgundy than black, which you can see once you cook with it and are left with a beautiful, burgundy-hued cooking water.
That deep burgundy colour means black rice is teaming with antioxidants called anthocyanins, which are found in lots of other purple foods and praised for their protective power.
In fact, black rice has 6X more antioxidant power than white rice and more antioxidants per gram than blueberries! And since antioxidants fight free radical damage, we can thank them for boosting our immune system and fighting disease and premature aging. Oh, and black rice has more protein and fibre than even brown rice. Hells ya, black rice!
Are you totally excited about this Black Rice Salad with lime vinaigrette yet?
The combination of the rice’s nutty flavour mixed with sweet, crunchy corn, spicy chives and tangy lime makes this salad simply irresistible. Plus, this dish looks spectacular. I mean, you’ll be the star of any potluck if you’re bringing this bad boy to the party.
Top it with goat cheese or your favourite nut or seed and you’re set. It can be a main meal or a killer side dish.
- 1 cup uncooked black rice (aka “forbidden rice”) washed thoroughly or soaked overnight
- 1 ½ cups cooked, organic corn kernels
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup fresh chives or green onion, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into small cubes
- 1 lime
- ¼ cup crumbled goat feta (optional)
- Before cooking rice, make sure it is either rinsed thoroughly of left to soak in water a few hours or overnight. If soaked, drain and rinse well before cooking.
- To cook black rice, in medium saucepan with a tight fitting lid, combine 1 cup rice with 2 cups of water and a generous pinch of salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boil is reached, reduce to simmer and cook covered fro 50-60 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, prepare the veggies and vinaigrette.
- When rice is cooked (should be soft, but still “chewy”) spread over a baking sheet and allow to cool slightly.
- Add warm(ish) rice to large mixing bowl with corn, cilantro, chives, avocado and lime vinaigrette. Mix well.
- Add additional salt or pepper to taste.
- Top with juice of fresh lime, a few extra sprinkles of fresh herbs and crumbled goat cheese if desired (try a sprinkle of your favourite nuts/seeds if you’re dairy-free!)
- 3 limes (approx. ¼ cup fresh lime juice)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- For vinaigrette, simply add all ingredients to a glass jar and shake vigorously.
- Keeps in fridge, tightly sealed, for 5-7 days.
You know I love to see what you’re up to in the kitchen, so if you make this and post it to social media, please be sure to tag me @kimdeoncom!